Saturday, February 07, 2009

Crustless Spinach Quiche...

Our neighbors invited us over for brunch in the morning, and this is what I am taking-

Crustless Spinach Quiche


It is a staple in our house.  I am sure I have probably posted this recipe somewhere on this blog, but it certainly was before I started to label things...so Leslie this is for you :)

3 ounces softened cream cheese
1 cup milk
6 eggs or (egg substitute equivalent to 4 eggs)
3 cups of shredded cheddar
1 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well drained
1 small onion finely chopped
1/2 chopped ham
 salt and pepper

(can also add chopped red pepper and/or mushrooms)

In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, milk, eggs and salt and pepper; beat until smooth. In a small pan, saute the onion, peppers, ham and mushrooms for a few minutes.   Let cool for just a few minutes.  Add broccoli, spinach, cheese and then the vegetables and ham to egg mixture.  Transfer to a 10 inch greased quiche pan and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes back clean. ( I think this recipe is from the Mar/April 2000 Edition of Quick Cooking)

*just a little F.Y.I.-this is how cheddar is sold in Vienna.  In "chunks" about as wide as one of my fingers...for almost 2 Euros! 



A message for all of my American friends...do not take the size of your cheddar for granted! :)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

We eat so much cheese I have been buying our cheddar in the big three pound blocks lately. I bet your cheese is tastier though. I am going to try your quiche recipe. I love quiche and just cannot be bothered with the making the crust. Looks like a great way to get some healthy veggies in for the kids too.
Rachel

leslie.kidd said...

YAH! Thanks so much for sharing! I can't wait to make it! :)