Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Love/Hate

I knew it was bound to happen...the slump after the family and friends from "home" leave. I'm sure it doesn't help that I am behind on a lot of things, I started a new round of German classes and I am just plain tired...so here goes some manic ramblings...

I love living in Vienna...

I hate the ache of missing my family and friends...

I love having visitors from the States...

I hate that it reminds me of what we are missing...

I love my nephews...

I hate that we can't celebrate their birthdays with them this month...

I love that our kids have friends...

I hate when they come home from school and tell us that their friends were mean to them...

I love going to German classes...

I hate not being able to formulate a sentence correctly...

I love that I can cling to the promises of our Heavenly Father...

I hate that Satan speaks lies and I can start to believe they are true...

Research shows that most people living in another culture will start to "descend" after about 6 to 8 months, and begin to pull out of it a few months later. The pit isn't a fun place to be, but it's a necessary stage before finally feeling established.

Brad and I just think our descent is a little late. We've been here about 9 1/2 months, and we've both been feeling it for a few weeks now, temporarily suspended during the visit from Memoo and the Cates family. So...do remember to pray for us. Nothing tragic, just feeling a bit of the blues lately.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog and even though we have never met, I do pray for you and will continue.

Claudia Wootton

Joe and Amy said...

Stacey! Parying for you guys! We have a love/hate list too...Check out Nate and Whitney's Blog, they have one too (they call it culture shocks/culture rocks!) ! We have all been in and out of 'slumpiness' about culture ect.. for a couple of weeks. This too will pass, but it is part of what we are all called to do. Praying for more 'loves' to find you this week. God gives us those special little boosts just when we need them!

Nate said...

Hunters, we prayed for you tonight. Culture shock. We knew it was coming, which helps, but it's still hard to get through, eh? We're right there with ya! Love the blog. Great pictures. Hang in there!

P.S. Schwartz is my favorite German color. It reminds me of playing Rook with Brad. Have you taught anyone to play Rook there?

Nate said...

Oh, yeah - about that picture of my adorable wife - check your wall on facebook. I wrote something there and uploaded a recent picture of us on our profile. She's cute, huh?

Keith Miller said...

Hey we are thinking of you... as noted above, we too, are compiling a similar list and trying not to give into the temptation to 'just leave!' We are praying and thinking of you!

The Syvertsens said...

oooh the pit. know it well. praying for you in the midst of it...-laura

Wesley said...

We think of you guys constantly and have you in our prayers. I'm glad you were able to put words to some of your love/hate issues. Know that we are trusting the Lord with you and for you in all of these things. Much love, Wes and Brian

Dominic Christison said...

We are praying for you guys and are very blessed to read your blog and be a part of your ministry this way,
Love Dom and Kat

domandkat said...

Know that Dom never encountered this bit of culture shock and I never encountered the honeymoon phase in Portugal. In the end the folks at the church we went to regularly spoke of IHP days - I Hate Portugal days -when we would all get frustrated at how things worked (or didn't) in our host country. Thankfully, after the initial bit, it ends up lasting a day or two instead of being so intense. And it's not like any of us never felt frustration in the States, right?

Love you guys - and I want a photo of Abby's new bike and Luke's new shoes!