Tuesday, April 27, 2010

die Excursion...

I really am enjoying my new German teacher. She has a great sense of humor and she likes to make learning fun! Today our lesson was on Excursions and sight seeing...and instead of just talking about it, she pulled us out of class and took us on a "little" field trip around the campus where our building is located.

She taught us the names of the trees...

the history of the statues...

more about the trees...

and when we would walk through a doorway she would teach us the right preposition to use...

there was a Japanese garden there, and she had one of our students translate...

then she explained that the campus where part of the University is, used to be a huge compound of hospitals and Dr.'s offices...this building was the Narrenturm, which was where the psychiatric patients would go. Now I believe it is the Patologische Museum.

Here she is telling more about the history of the buildings...

Lindsay listening carefully :)...


Some of my classmates...

Then when we got back into class, she gave us all maps and we had to find some of the major sites in Vienna and then practice giving directions to and from a particular place. This definitely is one of the best and most practical German classes I have taken thus far.

5 comments:

domandkat said...

SOunds like a very interesting class! Did she do it all in German?

It reminds me of my Conversation 2 class I taught in Nashville where we'd all pile in the school van and go around asking people directions to different places. We'd get lost because someone wouldn't understand the local person they asked, but we all had a blast!

Brad & Stacey said...

Nur Deutsch :)

Mary Porter said...

I'm glad you are enjoying the class. It's got to be better than the one we took together! ;)

Unknown said...

I want to join your German class...too bad the commute would be so long. :(

Shannon said...

I hope you learn a lot - it sounds fun :)