Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bound and determined to make me speak German


This is Alfred and Gritt. They are wonderful neighbors who live below us and are the parents of Frederick and Felix. They are also bound and determined to teach me German! They used to speak to me mainly in English, then slowly started speaking German and then translating it in English...now they pretty much ONLY speak German to me! I wish I could say I understand most or even half of what they are trying to tell me. Usually I can figure out what the gist of the conversation is just based on hand motions, facial expressions and the few words I do know. It really is sweet and I appreciate how they are trying to be creative in helping me learn the language.

Last week Gritt invited me over to make Buchteln mit Marillenfruchtfulle. This is sort of like a yummy yeast roll filled with apricot filling and served with a vanilla creme sauce. It is absolutely delicious!

Tonight Alfred stopped by and introduced a new game for the boys to play...we show them an item and Levi says what it is in English and then Frederick says what it is in German. I think Gritt and I will have to start playing this as well!:)

So, with Abby understanding and even translating at times for me, I think I'm off to do a Rosetta Stone Lesson!

auf Wiedersehen!

3 comments:

Lori said...

You go girl! Press on!
My Japanese host family's granddaughter is 6 yr old and we've been playing "memory" with a deck of cards. It's great practice for me to work on my numbers! I start language school on Monday! Kids are a great help in learning a language!

Alisha said...

It sounds like you have some pretty great neighbors. Our neighbors keep to themselves. If you haven't already done so, you should get a library card. Your kids would love it and you can borrow their books to practice reading.

Amy Ross said...

I think your first lesson should be to translate that yummy recipe into English for us!!
Did you get my recent email or vonage message about Christmas gifts???