Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Rare moments...

It isn't very often I get to spend the afternoon with other American women, who are also here serving in Vienna. Today was one of those rare moments. Five of us from all parts of the US, with varied life and ministry experiences gathered together for a nice lunch and fellowship. We laughed, cried, shared our struggles and joys. (and I even learned where I could buy a ceiling fan!) It felt normal. I didn't have to give anyone strange looks because I understood everything they said, I didn't have to explain what I do with my time, because they all understood what adjusting to a new culture is like. I forgot how much I missed just hanging out with other women who could understand me! We also ate chocolate! Really good chocolate desserts!:)

After my time with the girls, I took the children to see a movie. Brad needs all the quiet he can get as he studies for his test tomorrow, so we went to see "Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium". It is with Natalie Portman, Dustin Hoffman and Jason Bateman. I had never heard of it until today, and it actually was a sweet movie, filled with all sorts of lines like "Life is an occasion-rise to it"! Cheesy I know, but it was nice to just watch a "feel good" sort of movie. We don't go to movies in the theater that often, so that was a rare moment in and of itself, but rarely do we also eat popcorn and gummy bears for dinner! Another treat!

Speaking of treats, I took some of my favorite bread to my lunch to share with the girls. Everyone I know here in Vienna is getting this bread for Christmas. Teachers, neighbors and friends! I wrapped the finished product in aluminum foil, tied it with some silver ribbon and attached a silver cookie cutter! Ta! Da! My attempt to be Martha Stewart like. Below is the recipe!




Poppy Seed Bread Recipe

3 cups flour
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons each of vanilla, almond extract and butter flavoring

Glaze
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla, almond extract and butter flavoring


Mix all the ingredients together for 1-2 minutes with an electric mixer. Put batter in 2 large loaf pans or 4 small ones; bake for 45-one hour in 350 degree oven.
Right after I take them out of the oven, I pour the glaze over the top of the bread, while it is still in the pan...then it seeps into the warm bread. Remove from pan when cooled completely.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Everyone getting this bread is certainly getting a special treat!! I love that bread! So glad you had a nice time with the girls. love,Kim