Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Making progress, friends, and our place a home

Last week I went out to lunch with a woman from my German class. As we talked, I told her about how nice our neighbors are and how the kids are making friends at school. She commented, "You are lucky! For most people here it takes a long time to get to know people". I agree with her statement and yet I also know that God has been answering our prayers for nice neighbors and friends...we just haven't gotten lucky. I am grateful for our neighbors and the friends we are beginning to make.
Speaking of our neighbors next door, I had asked you all to pray for their daughter who was to have surgery on her brain to remove a small tumor. Unfortunately she got a cold and her surgery had to be postponed until mid October. I will let you know when I know more details than that.

We also invited a few friends over from school last week. This is Abby's new friend Alice. Her mom is Italian, her dad is Austrian and they lived in Dublin until last year. She has the cutest little accent and Abby definitely has a fun time repeating it. They are in the same class at school and on Thursdays they take ballet together.


Luke's friend is Gian. He is originally from Nepal and then lived in Holland for several years. I think they hit it off so well because he speaks really good English. They also both really like playing video games!:)


This is Abby at the park with our neighbor Felix. He just turned a year and Abby has a fun time "watching over" him.


This is Frederick. He is Felix's older brother and he and Levi are the same age.


Here we are registering Levi for kindergarten. That is what they call preschool here. A spot opened up at the school directly across the street from our house and Levi and Frederick will be in the same class. He will start classes the first week of October. This school seems like it will work better with our busy schedule and Gritt, Frederick's mom has offered to help with taking and picking up if we need it.






This is a self-portrait that Abby did in school. It cracks me up that she still draws the sun shining above her! (like it did in Florida)
/IMG_3680.JPG">

I told you I would get a picture of the nun in my German class, and I did! Tomorrow is our last day as a group and new classes start again in October. My teacher was really great and my vocabulary has definitely expanded. Overall, it was a very good start!



So between studying and entertaining, we have also gotten our house much more in order. We got our black and white wall up and now it definitely feels more like "home". Below is a picture of our bedroom. Literally it is only a BEDroom, but it is cozy. It is hard to get a good shot because it is so small and the ceilings are slanted, but you get the idea. The cool piece of furniture that slides back and forth over our bed is compliments of IKEA. I use it to do homework in bed!



Finally, this is our coatrack that we had in Florida. It definitely is getting much more use in Vienna!

10 comments:

tam.my said...

hey guys, can´t wait to see you next week. I hope the weather will be right. don´t forget worm clothes. and lukes monopoly maybe he will find some boys to play?!?
greeds tammy

Unknown said...

Your "nun" photo is the only one I couldn't enlarge... must be done differently. I love to bring all your pix UP CLOSE. Great BLOG with so many photos & so much positive info!
I'll have to ask you how to pronounce certain words and letters that sound the same, on MeMoo's Berlitz program.
Got my BD box today with bunches of stuff. Thanks, love, Neena

mccaigs5 said...

Stacey you are not lucky at making friends. That is a God-given talent that you have. I remember when you first came to Fl., knowing no one except Brad. You were so sweet and friendly and easy to befriend. I would have hidden at my at my future in-laws for 6 months.
And look at you, inviting kids over to your house and whatnot. No wonder my kids don't have any friends! I have learned much (and look forward to learning much more) in the area of hospitality from you. Thinking of you, LeeAnn

Kim said...

I love the pictures of your house and the kids! I'm so glad to see that they are making friends and they look like they are having fun! love, kim

Shannon said...

I can't wait to see it all! Soon! We'll have to get a picture of our bluetongues together :) SSS

The Crazy Lady said...

I love all the pictures! Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us! We are praying for ya'll!

Amy Ross said...

Your wall looks great. It is so good to see all of your "old" things and "new" things together. Levi's classroom looks so cool! I love reading your blog entries and getting a picture of your life in Austria... thanks, friend. Missing you...

Mary Porter said...

Levi is looking a little "Smurfy" in the blog below! I love it! Thanks for sharing your life with us...it's exciting to see how God is working in your lives and placing people in the right place at the right time.
God is good all the time, all the time, God is good!
I LOVE YOU!
MeMoo :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things our going well! Praying for you all.

Joe and Amy said...

You guys are awesome! You inspire us! Praying for you often!