Monday, February 04, 2008

A taste of two worlds...

Advil Liquid gels, Lucky Charms, Velvetta, Bleach pens, Slim Jims and Thin Mints...does it get any better? :)

This little taste of America was brought home by Brad after his trip to Orlando.  Of course we were elated to see Daddy, but we also found much joy in the goodies he managed to cram into his suitcase.  It is so weird how treats from where you come from can stir up your emotions.   There are a lot of things I miss about the States...our old world.  Our family and friends, the fellowship of our home church, the junkfood and the convenience.  I miss being able to go to one store to find all that I need...not 3 or 4 stores.  And of course, knowing the language.

Still with all that I miss, I am surprised how much I really like here.  The old buildings, the parks, people of all walks of life, living in an apartment, the fresh breads and just the "feel" of living in a city.  I wouldn't have thought that after 7 months this could feel like our home.  We have made friends, we can get around well (even without a car), we all are learning more about the culture and the language everyday, and we are loving it. I am encouraged. I knew in my head we were called here, but now I am beginning to feel it in my heart. It feels good.


It also feels good to know that our kids are thriving.   Today Levi could hardly wait to get to school for his Faschingsfest.   As I write this, Luke is at a birthday party of a friend.  And yesterday when our neighbors only spoke German with Abby, she was able to understand everything that they were saying!  This is our new world.

I am excited to see how the combining of these two worlds will continue to shape and challenge our family, as we cling to His promises and trust that He has called us here to love and serve.

11 comments:

SomeOne said...

I was on the verge of tears reading this, Stacey. Truly God has set your feet in a broad place. (Ps. 31) Praise Him.

melissa said...

hey stacey! That looks like quite the goodie pile. :) What we've found, is that at some point, one craves Austrian things or you find substitutes for what you're 'used' to.

There are still those specific 'American' cravings, but after 2.5 years, they've become less and less! We even struggle here and again with what to have brought from the US!

It's wonderful to read that you feel like you're adjusting to living here. Look forward to catching up on Friday!

Kim said...

That's awesome! Let us know if there are any other goodies you might be craving...:) Kim

tam.my said...

hunters, one word and I will go and hunt for you in target,kmart,foodland,drugstore, walmart,cusko (???) and all the other stores, pack it in and send it to my country, but it could need sometime. I'm still waiting for a letter since three weeks! so tell me early enough!

domandkat said...

This was a very encouraging entry! Kat and I are praying for you guys and enjoying sharing in your journey...
Dominic

Shannon said...

I'm so glad you're getting there, slowly but surely. It takes time but God will supply all you need - and He is, every day.

Love you guys, Shan

Uh, and did Brad have to leave all his clothes here or WHAT? That is a huge pile o'loot, woman!

The Crazy Lady said...

I was wondering the same thing! I am so glad the airlines didn't lose this very important luggage!!! Stacey ~ Glad to hear your encouraged during this transition!!! Praying for ya'll!

Wesley said...

Thinking of you tonight as I used my "so-readily-available-I-take-it-for-granted" Velveeta to make broccoli cheese soup (and in the process make a huge mess!) You are in our hearts and prayers every day. Such an encouraging post. We celebrate God's goodness with you! Love, Wes

Unknown said...

I needed to hear this today... For me it's been s a week of "what are we putting ourselves through?" and it was good to hear this stuff.
Thanks.

Joanna said...

oh mY GOSH. im coming over to snack :-) see ya in 3 hours hehe..
love you! i bought a diet coke lime at our "american store " yesterday in budapest. it was sooo good. love u

Marla and Rob said...

Glad to see you didn't forget the Velveeta. Rob is so proud that you know what tastes great:)!!!