Friday, June 06, 2008

Friday Favorites-Milka chocolate!

Anyone who knows our family, knows that food is really one of our main love languages. We love good food, and we love good chocolate...so for my Friday Favorite I will highlight my favorite chocolate bar that you can find around these parts..MILKA!
We chop it for cookies...
We melt it to dip our fruits in...

and we also eat it in bulk just by the bars! There are too many different types of Milka chocolates to name, but my favorite is the Zartherb, which is the dark chocolate. It is creamy, rich and just plain D-lish! :) ( Yep, I'm on a chocolate high right now, and that is why I am rhyming things with words like D-lish)

I'll leave you with a recipe that I made today using the Milka bar to add the finishing touch to my Banoffee pie... a recipe that my friend Wilma gave me:

Start by removing the labels from 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk and submerge them in water, making sure to cover the entire can

Boil for the next 3 hours...yep, I wrote that right...3 hours, making sure to keep the cans fully covered in water, so they don't EXPLODE!
Sometime during those 3 hours...take your butter cookies or graham crakers(whatever your country offers) and crush them in your food processor...

then add some pecans, and continuing crushing until you make a fine crust...
add some melted butter to your cookies and pecans and then pat it into your pie dish and bake it until it turns golden brown...
ok...3 hours have gone by, yep..3! But look what happens to your sweetened condensed milk...it turns into a rich caramel sauce! Just be careful when you remove your cans from the boiling water and be sure to have a towel nearby when you open your cans...as the carmel wants to oooze out all over the place...
pour your cans of carmel over your crust and let it cool for awhile...once cool, add a layer of cut bananas over the top of your caramel...


now beat some whipping cream...cover your pie or just add a dollop to your piece, whatever you are in the mood for...
then bring out the Milka dark chocolate...(unless you don't live in Austria)
use a grater to shave a bar until it covers your whipped cream to your liking...

now grab a fork and DIG IN my friend! It is D-lish! Yep, still on my chocolate high...

Banoffee Pie (recipe from Wilma Graham)

Boil 2 unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours. Make sure the cans stay completely covered in water, or they could explode.

Crust:
About 12 cookies or 7 "Digestive biscuits" is what she uses, crushed
1/2c chopped pecans
1/2c melted butter

Mix and press into the bottom of a pie pan. Bake at 350 until golden brown.

Spread the toffee/caramel over the crust.

Cut up about 3 bananas and put over the toffee. Top with whipped cream (use about 2-3T of sugar and 1/2 t of vanilla to sweeten your whipped cream)

After putting on the whipped cream, shave dark chocolate pieces or sprinkle with cocoa powder

10 comments:

Dominic Christison said...

Good grief I'm hungry! Now I feel like the survivor!

Marla and Rob said...

Oh my goodness!! As if I haven't gained enough post-babies weight (yeah, you heard me right, POST-BABIES!!), now Rob thinks we should make this. You tickled his taste buds w/ talk of carmel and chocolate, and now that he knows that he can make carmel just by boiling sweetened condensed milk, we may never be without!!!! Thanks Stac - my hips will love you!!

The Syvertsens said...

ok. this sounds amazing. and we can get all those ingredients here. yay!

Joe and Amy said...

mmmm! How do you guys stay so fit looking with all of these yummy desserts? This looks great and simple! There is no carmel sauce or carmel chunks or anything carmel to bake with in NZ so I will share this carmel trick with many (Americans!)

Kim said...

I am in sugar shock...again, I feel the need to run to Publix RIGHT NOW! :)kim

The Syvertsens said...

i am making this today, and i just read that you can store unopened cans of boiled sweetened condensed milk in your pantry "indefinitely," so you can always have caramel on hand. good to know! thanks for sharing the recipe.

melissa said...

I can testify that this recipe was GREAT! Very rich. Thank you, Stacey (also for the meal...we loved it)!

I notice that you used the 'real thing' for sweetened condensed milk - you must have that from the States? I was wondering how a caramel sauce (available at Merkur) would work instead; especially since the Austrian sweetened condensd milk comes in tubes!

Brad & Stacey said...

Melissa-
I bought the sweetened condensed milk from Bobby's...maybe the caramel sauce from Merkur would work...glad you liked everything;)

See you Friday...

tam.my said...

just after reading it I'm not sure anymore if it's a good idea to leave the pastryjob and gona be a nurse. it sounds yummie, stacey that is mean. I can see my belly growing. hug

Shannon said...

Wow, can you send me some of that chocolate, cause it sounds yummmmmmy!!!

I'm sad I won't be seeing you in London, but.... :) SSS

PS AGAIN: HOW are you not 2000 pounds???