Monday, January 26, 2009

More on our Milka Pooch...

Anytime we are out with Milka, we draw a crowd. Grown women stop to kiss her on the mouth.  Yes, you read that right-on the mouth.  Adult men talk to her in a really high voice.  Kids point, stare and ask if they can pet her.
Europeans love dogs.  No question about it...

A few days ago, Luke, Abby and I were on a walk in the 1st District of Vienna.  In a 15 minute time period, we were stopped 12 times!  One woman even asked to have her photo taken with her. 

I really don't understand the fascination with dogs-but it has been fun to see the smile she brings to faces that often stare straight ahead, carefully avoiding eye contact.  Or to hear people tell us that she is a "real life toy and a precious treasure".  It has also been fun to watch my kids respond to questions like "how old is she" or "what kind of breed is that" auf Deutsch. (in German) 

Milka is fun, spunky, loyal and loves to cuddle.  She certainly has provided unique experiences to talk with people, that otherwise wouldn't have been possible in this culture.   And even though she is just a dog...she has the ability to break down barriers and melt peoples hearts...

yep, you might say we are becoming "dog" people.  The kind that dress their dog in sweaters and take pictures of them with sunglasses on... :)

2 comments:

Wesley said...

I love it. Yes, once you fall in love with your dog, you're never the same. I still treasure the pics of our girl with a blue bandana on her head!

mccaigs5 said...

I love it! That is neat that she's helping break down those barriers. Things are going great with Kolbie, btw. And you know I'm not a dog person. But, he does scare the neighborhood kids. He really just wants to play. And now I am that lady that I never thought I would be. You know, the one who keeps saying "He's not going to hurt you" while the dog is carrying on like he's going to take someone's head off. He really is a good dog. :)