Thursday, October 11, 2007

Deunglisch

Deutsch (German) + English = Deunglisch

Talking with my mom yesterday she asked the question "When do you think you will be able to communicate in German?" Now that is a great question and I wish I knew the answer! Based on a recent conversation with my neighbor I think it might be awhile!

Me: Danke for the Kuchen!

Neighbor: Letztes Wochenende hat mein Enkelkind eine Geburtstagsparty gehabt, und ich habe ihm von euch erzaehlt. Er wollte euch ein Stueck Kuchen geben.

Luke: What did she say?

Me: Her grandson had a birthday and they told him about our family and he wanted to share some of his cake with us...I think.

Me again: Brad told me that your Tochter will have her surgery on Freitag. We will be praying for her...

more small talk in the elevator continued about how Levi is in Kindergarten across the street, as I hurl my arms in the direction of the school and point to Levi every time I am talking about him...

Someday, (I hope) the synapses that send messages to my tongue will be able to figure out this German stuff and I will be able to complete a paragraph and NOT just insert the few words I DO know and maybe I'll even be able to keep my hands in my pockets.

Please pray for our neighbors Tochter as she undergoes surgery tomorrow and for me as I struggle to learn Deutsch.

In the meantime, maybe I should check with the Deutsch Akademie to see if they ever use this learning style for German...

5 comments:

Amy Ross said...

Hi. My name is Amy. I like you video. The strobe light is fun. Thank you.

Ha, Ha!! I can totally see Abby in one of those cool costumes !

Ok, off to change my pants. Thanks for the laugh!!!

SomeOne said...

Well, me dearie, if it's any consolation to you, you understood the grandmother better than I would have (and I took German for three years!)

Cheering you on and rejoicing at your sense of humor

Jennifer

Joe and Amy said...

It looks like I am a little behind on your blog! You guys have been busy! Good for you for even trying to speak! I am sure that God is filling in the gaps when needed.

Wish we could get together for a Monicals pizza too! Do they have good pizza...or anything like it in Vienna?

Love you guys!
Amy and Joe

domandkat said...

Stacey -
I was trying to imagine you in one of those outfits, but then I realized it would probably make more sense for you to be in a dirndl! What an absolute relief :-)

You are doing amazingly well - shoot, you know which words belong in which blanks! And are trying! Keep on keeping on...

K@

Shannon said...

Hilarious! Hi, my name is Stacey and I like to speak German with my friends, thank you! Haha!

We're on our anniversary trip till next Tuesday (in Nevis)... sooo nice to lie by the pool and do nothing for a while! Ahhh.

No more old ladies yelling at you for ignoring them lately, I hope?
I miss you guys. Glad you're feeling better.

Love, Shan