Saturday, January 19, 2008

Aim High, or at Least High Enough


As I recall, "Aim High" was the US Air Force's motto when I was a kid. Through school and college and seminary, I (Brad here) usually tried to, you know, "aim high". But when I began taking "Sociological Research Methods: Data Collection" in German at the University of Vienna, and had a hard time understanding even 10% of what the professor was saying, goals had to be drastically rearranged. "Survive" became my new motto.

I took the one and only exam in December, complete with 14 essay questions (one an 8-parter), with a "generous" 45 minutes alloted. I was sunk. I was the last person in the room and still had 4 questions left. I scribbled something down for one of them, and the impatient professor said, "I'll ask you the other's orally." He gratefully accepted 2 of the answers.

Failure would not only mean the death of my pride, but a severe complication for trying to secure a student visa. For all of you who prayed, I have some good news, humbling, but good. I received the lowest possible grade that is still considered a passing grade. The professor called it "GenĂ¼gend", lit. translated "Enough." So for those of you who regularly pray for my pride to be killed, thanks a lot. God is working on me. And for those of you who have been praying for me to pass my classes, thanks as well. God seems to have answered both prayers simultaneously.

No comments: