Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cultural Expectations... Gifts


Today Abby and I have been invited to a friend's house for lunch. This means that I will attempt the few sentences I know well in German and then pantomime out the rest...:)
and it also means I need to have a gift ready to take with us.

Whenever you go to someone's house for a visit in Vienna, it is customary to bring a gift. It doesn't have to be big, it can be candy, wine or flowers. It is just a token of your appreciation for being invited.

So often I have found myself scrambling to get to the store the morning of my invitation, so finally I have started a gift box..it is filled with candy, small toys, pencils, stickers and such for kids. Perfect for when we get that last minute afternoon invitation to a friend's house.

6 comments:

mccaigs5 said...

I have to chuckle a little at the visual of you pantomiming (probably not a word) your thoughts and ideas to your friends :)

Shannon said...

Nice lead in to Frida, you kiss up!!! :)

Shannon said...

Friday, I meant. Kinda ruined the joke...

Marla and Rob said...

You've been tagged!! Check out my blog for details:).

Wesley said...

If Viennese culture revolves around serving your neighbors, baking goodies, and giving thoughtful little gifts, God has well prepared you for life there! Those are traits that remind me of YOU!!

Hunter said...

Frida?